Every spring, we go from hoping that our chickens will provide enough eggs that we don’t have to buy any from the store to an egg explosion! And, I always want to scream, “How do I turn these chickens off?”
Unfortunately, chickens don’t come with on and off switches! Now, don’t get me wrong. It’s a good problem to have, but until our normal egg customers get back into the habit of getting eggs from us, it can be overwhelming! So, I always try to take an afternoon, and make up a huge batch of breakfast burritos for the freezer.
Without these pre-made breakfast burritos, we would probably end up going through the drive-thru on mornings that we have to get out the door. And, of course, it’s always nice to have them on hand when I just don’t feel like making breakfast or in the dead of winter when we’re missing our farm-fresh eggs!
- Taco sized tortillas
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Cooked bacon, sausage, or other meat (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Sour cream and picante sauce for topping, if desired
- Beat eggs, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Melt butter in a skillet.
- Fry eggs and set aside.
- Place one tortilla on a plate (or a paper towel for freezing).
- Add fried eggs, cheese and optional meat.
- Microwave for 15-30 seconds (or heat on griddle) to soften tortilla and melt cheese.
- Fold up bottom of tortilla and roll into a burrito.
- Add any desired toppings and enjoy!
To re-heat, remove plastic wrap and microwave in paper towel.
Do you have a favorite make-ahead breakfast recipe?
You may also like: